Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Joy in the Waiting

For the right person - NOW that sad feeling

Waiting.

The word alone brings up visions of hearts and butterflies, doesn’t it?

pink and red Heart Butterfly

Kidding! Totally kidding!

Sometimes I like to wait, though.

Today I thought would be a day of waiting. I packed book four in the Karen Kingsbury
Above the Line Series in hopes of getting to read.

I didn’t have to wait much today. Waiting today would have been a pleasant experience for me, but it didn’t happen.

Waiting isn’t usually synonymous with pleasant experience, however, and I was reminded of that today.

At one of my appointments today I heard of how a young girl had asked a boy to a Sadie Hawkins dance.

Folks, I know I’m bold and loud and obnoxiously outspoken now, but this is something I would never have been brave enough to do as a young girl. Girls who are brave enough to do this have got way more something than I ever did! I am absolutely impressed and blown away that they do this with guys who aren’t their “steady” boyfriends.

Fast-forward to the end of the story.

The boy hasn’t said yes or no yet, and rumor has it he has more than one girl asking.

Ok, I am furious in the listening to this story. This girl, now make that GIRLS, is willing to ask and risk rejection and this boy can’t give them the courtesy of an answer?!?!

Sure, I smiled and “uh-huhed” at appropriate times in the conversation, but on the inside my heart was breaking for young girls stuck waiting!

Waiting for an answer stinks.

I’ve waited for a lot of different answers over the years.

Some seemed uber important at the time, and now looking back weren’t important at all.

Some were huge and waiting was an incredible learning experience.

Most were in between…neither insignificant nor life altering. And yet regardless of the overall importance of each situation, at the time each situation was equally uncomfortable during the waiting period.

For the past year I feel like my walk with God has been in a waiting period. Kind of an oxymoron, isn’t it?

Walk in a waiting place.

I heard clearly, “Step back.”

Even though it was harder than I had imagined, I had peace after I resigned from all my ministry positions.

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5

I knew even though I didn’t understand it at the time that God had great plans for my life.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

I’ve been waiting for almost a year to hear from God what I’m supposed to be doing.

At first it was almost a pleasant experience. I got a break. Some Sundays off. Got to attend an adult Sunday school class!

I knew God was going to do something big in my life. A change was coming, and I needed to be available.

I’ve been waiting.

And waiting.

And it’s almost been a year.

It’s fair to say I’ve questioned everything about this experience. Everything.

Why am I still waiting, God? What do I still need to learn? What door did I choose not to walk through that I was supposed to walk through? God? Do you even hear me anymore?

I don’t like to wait. I think almost a year is patience. Don’t you?

Abraham and Sarai.
Hmmm. Ok, maybe not.

The birth of the Messiah.
Yeah.

The second coming of Christ.
Getting your point.

But those who wait upon the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
I may not like this waiting place. I don’t like feeling useless. I don’t like not knowing what’s coming next. However, unlike the girls I mentioned earlier, I am waiting on Almighty God. He won’t let me down, and waiting on Him won’t be in vain.

This wait will renew my strength. I will mount up with wings like eagles…what a visual picture that is!!!! I will run without getting tired, and when I get done running I’ll walk but won’t faint.

Why? Because I waited on the Power Source to fill me up with the resources He needed me to have.

While I wait I don’t have to sit idly by. I can praise Him. I can serve Him. I can share Him with others. And, I can continue to deepen my own personal relationship with Him through prayer and Bible study.

I can enjoy while I’m waiting...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to engage in the conversation! I do read and attempt to respond to each comment. This blog is Christian in nature and any content that is deemed vulgar or grossly inappropriate will be removed at the author's discretion. Please help me maintain a loving environment for all who enter here!