Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Don't Neglect Your Gifts




We often talk about spiritual gifts. We identify them. We classify them. We assign gifts to people we know. We desire gifts, and sometimes are envious of other’s gifts.

I don’t know about you, but in my walk I’ve sat under many studies about gifts. Most of those studies end in discussions about how to identify our individual gifts and the participants walk away just as unaware as they were when the study began.

I’m not passing judgment here. I’ve absolutely struggled along to identify my gifts. Most days it feels like I’m still struggling to have clear revelation about that very thing.

There are some small things that I know, however.




Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership. Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all. 1 Timothy 4:14-15

Most of us have heard the saying “If you don’t use it, you’ll lose it.”

In high school I played the French horn. I haven’t played since high school seventeen years ago. I doubt that I could pick up a French horn today and play the national anthem.

Sure, I played it probably hundreds of times in high school. Yes, I knew the fingerings and embouchure by memory. No, I don’t think it would all magically come rushing back to me the second someone placed a French horn in my hands.

I haven’t used that skill in seventeen years; I have lost it.

Our spiritual gifts aren’t eternal gifts. If we don’t exercise them regularly, we can lose them.

We need to identify our gifts and choose not to neglect them.

Once we have identified our gifts and accepted them, we need to search out God’s Holy Word and fill our mind with His Word. What does He say about our gifts? How does He instruct us to use them? Why does He give us gifts? When should we put our gifts in to use?

Then we must take our gifts and God’s Word and give our self entirely to it.

Entirely. Fully. Without reserve.

How will we know if we have?

If we have dedicated ourselves completely, then our progress will noticed by all.

How often do we choose not to work towards our goal because we’re afraid we might fail? This Scripture says if we are sold out, then our progress will be seen and recognized by all.

Christians, we have to stop being so concerned about the world seeing us fail and start being willing to let the world see God work a miracle through our willingness to be used.

I’m guilty too often of being a passive Christian willing to fade into the shadows and hope no one notices me instead of stepping out into the light and fulfilling the call God’s placed on my light. Am I truly sold out? Have I given myself entirely to my gifts and His Words?

What about you, friends? Are you meeting His potential for your life or settling for your comfort zone?



photo credit: deeplifequoteshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/deeplifequotes/6940189374/">deeplifequotes
> via photopinhttp://photopin.com">photopin> cchttp://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc>

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is important to recognize and use our gifts, but we don't have to give them labels or restrict them to gifts listed in the Bible. Anything we do well is a gift; so lets do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree! So many people are searching for their gift(s) though that they never get around to using any of their abilities. I am if the belief that we need some counselors in the congregation just got this purpose.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to engage in the conversation! I do read and attempt to respond to each comment. This blog is Christian in nature and any content that is deemed vulgar or grossly inappropriate will be removed at the author's discretion. Please help me maintain a loving environment for all who enter here!